How to get Economically Weaker Section Certificate?

Written By Gautham Krishna   | Published on April 23, 2019

Quick Links

Name of the Service Economically Weaker Section Certificate
Department Revenue Department
Beneficiaries Citizens of India
Application Type Online/Offline
FAQs Click Here

The government of India has introduced Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) reservations for economically backward candidates in the general category. Candidates who belong to the EWS category will get a 10% reservation in government jobs and educational institutions.

Economically Weaker Section EWS Certificate format reservation quota

Eligibility Criteria for Economically Weaker Section Certificate

Candidates should satisfy both income and asset criteria to get an Economically Weaker Section certificate.

Income Criteria

Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs and whose family has a gross annual income below Rs 8.00 lakh are to be identified as EWSs for benefit of reservation.

Income shall also include income from all sources i.e. salary, agriculture, business, profession, etc. for the financial year before the year of application.

Asset Criteria

Also, persons whose family owns or possesses any of the following assets shall be excluded from being identified as EWS, irrespective of the family income:-

  • 5 acres of agricultural land and above;

  • Residential flat of 1000 sq ft. and above;

  • Residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities;

  • Residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.

The property held by a "Family" in different locations or different places/cities would be clubbed while applying the land. or property holding test to determine EWS status.

The term "Family" for this purpose will include the person who seeks the benefit of reservation, his/her parents and siblings below the age of 18 years as also his/her spouse and children below the age of 18 years.

How to get free money from government

Documents Required for Economically Weaker Section Certificate

Following documents are required for getting benefits under this reservation.

  • Income certificate

  • Caste Certificate

  • Below Poverty Line card

  • PAN card

  • Aadhaar Card

  • Bank passbook

  • Passport size photograph

How to apply for an Economically Weaker Section Certificate?

The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate. To get an EWS certificate, you need to follow the below procedure.

  • Visit any of the following officers in your area to get an Income and Asset Certificate. The Income and Asset Certificate issued 'by any one of the following authorities in the prescribed format shall only be accepted as proof of candidate's claim as 'belonging to EWS.  

    • Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar

    • Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides.

    • District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendary  Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner

    • Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate

  • The Officer who issues the certificate would do the same after carefully verifying all relevant documents following due process as prescribed by the respective State/UT.

  • The concerned officer will do an inquiry into your income and asset before providing the EWS certificate.

Time Required to get EWS certificate

An officer from the concerned office will conduct an inquiry to check your income and asset. It will take around 21 days after the inquiry is done to get the EWS certificate.

However, as per the guidelines, the concerned officer should expedite the process as the crucial date for submitting income and asset certificate by the candidate may be treated as the closing date for receipt of application.

Age Relaxation

There is no age relaxation for EWS candidates. So the age limit for general category students will apply for EWS candidates as well.

Also, there is no relaxation in the number of attempts in case of examinations.

Important Points

  • Persons belonging to EWS who are selected based on merit and not on account of reservation are not to be counted towards the quota meant for reservation.

  • Persons belonging to EWS selected against the quota for persons with benchmark disabilities/ex-servicemen shall be placed against the roster points earmarked for EWS.

  • The Educational Institutions and Recruiting Government Agencies should verify the veracity of the Income and asset certificate submitted by the candidate through the certificate issuing authority.


"Scientific and Technical" posts which satisfy all the following conditions can be exempted from the purview of the reservation orders by the Ministries/ Departments:

(i) The posts should be in grades above the lowest grade in Group A of the service concerned.

(ii) They should be classified as "scientific or technical" in terms of Cabinet Secretariat, according to which scientific and technical posts for which qualifications in the natural sciences or exact sciences or applied sciences or technology are prescribed and, the incumbents of which have to use that knowledge in the discharge of their duties.

(iii) The posts should be 'for conducting research' or 'for organizing, guiding and directing research'.

Grievance Redressal

Any person aggrieved with any matter relating to discrimination in employment or admission against any EWS may file a complaint with the Grievance Redressal Officer of the respective Government establishment.

The name, designation and contact details of the Grievance Redressal Officer will be displayed on the website and in the office of the concerned establishment.

EWS Certificate

Related Links



What are some common queries related to EWS Certificate?
You can find a list of common EWS Certificate queries and their answer in the link below.
EWS Certificate queries and its answers
Where can I get my queries related to EWS Certificate answered for free?
Tesz is a free-to-use platform for citizens to ask government-related queries. Questions are sent to a community of experts, departments and citizens to answer. You can ask the queries here.
Ask Question