Answered on February 07,2019
Driving license expires after 20 years from the date of issue. You must renew your driving license before it expires.
Driving license Renewal Application and Charges
An application for renewal can be submitted not more than one month before the date of expiry of the licence.
- If the application for renewal is made previous to but not more than 30 days after the date of expiry of the licence, the renewal will be made with effect from the date of its expiry.
- If the application is made more than 30 days after the date of expiry of the licence, the renewal will be made with effect from the date of receipt of proper application. In such cases a fee of Rs. 30/- will be charged.
- If the application is late for more than five years after the date of expiry of the licence, the applicant should undergo all the formalities to obtain a fresh licence.
Documents Required for Driving License renewal
- Existing Driving Licence
- Form - 9 (Form of Application for the Renewal of Driving Licence)
- Form - 1 (Self-declaration as to the physical fitness for Non-Transport Vehicles)
Form - 1A (Medical Certificate for Transport Vehicles only)
Apply for Driving License renewal
- If you are applying for DL renewal from the RTO where you have obtained your original license, then you need only the above set of documents to apply it.
- If you are applying for DL renewal from the RTO outside your State, then you need to obtain NOC from the RTO where you have received your original RTO, in addition to the above set of documents to apply it.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
Sarthi Parivahan Sewa 2023- Driving License, Vehicle InformationThe Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has been instrumental in automating more than 1300 Road Transport Offices (RTOs) nationwide. These RTOs issue essential documents, inclu..
Click here to get a detailed guide
- ഡ്രൈവിംഗ് ടെസ്റ്റ് കഴിഞ്ഞ് എത്ര ദിവസം കൊണ്ട് മെസ്സേജ് വരും? Write Answer
- What is the penalty on the lapse in renewal of registration in Bangalore this year? Write Answer
- Need help in getting NOC for car registered in Khairatabad for my friend who is in Chennai. Is it poosible to get without the car owner's presence? Write Answer
- I have bike owned by my brother who moved to USA and parked it at my place. It has been a long time like almost 10 years now and the vehicle is still not transferred. I have all docs like NOC from old RTO etc and now he want to sell the vehicle. Can we have the vehicle registration done for Delhi now and if yes what process and charges will be involved. Write Answer
- Do I need to obtain an RC extract or a state transfer certificate for my bike with a capacity above 300cc that I brought to Maharashtra six months ago? If so, what will be the amount of road tax that I need to pay in Maharashtra? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council (KDISC)
Vileena Rathnam Manohar
A R Ashraf
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.