Answered on July 07,2018
As per the Motor Vehicle Acts of different States, if you take your vehicle from home State to any other State, you need to get it re-registered within 6–12 months from the date of arrival in to migrated State. So if you are moving for a short duration, say less than 6 months, then there is no need for change of registration number. You can pay road tax in the migrated State and use it.
Step by step instruction to pay road tax is provided below.
- Find the nearest RTO as per your residential zone. Every city is divided into multiple zones and every zone has dedicated RTO.
- Calculate the tax amount: Road Tax or Life Time Tax (LTT) is calculated based on the price of the vehicle,age of vehicle and its cubic capacity. Life time of vehicle is assumed to be 15 years, so older your vehicle, lesser LTT you need to pay. Usually, it is around 10% of the price of the vehicle. Visit the counter where this calculation is done and get to know the tax to be paid
- Fill the form required for paying road tax as per the RTO of your State. For example, in Karnataka, FORM 14 (KMV- T?-14) is required for paying road tax. The Original Invoice should be accompanied with this.
- After this, deposit the required amount in the cash counter. If tax is less than INR 3000, payment can be made over the counter. If tax is more than INR 3000, a demand draft for the tax amount needs to be paid in favor of RTO.
Please note that for paying road tax, NOC is not required. NOC is required only in case of vehicle re-registration and ownership transfer.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
Sarthi Parivahan Sewa 2023- Driving License, Vehicle InformationThe Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has been instrumental in automating more than 1300 Road Transport Offices (RTOs) nationwide. These RTOs issue essential documents, inclu..
Click here to get a detailed guide
- I have paid the online payment for overspeed violation. Now how to intimate Kozhikode RTO to release my blacklisting. What is the email id or mobile number in which I can reach them Write Answer
- I have taken NOC of a Car from Noida to Lucknow whose registration was going to expire in Aug 2023. I forgot to get it re-registered in Lucknow. As 15 years have expired I am unable to get it registered in Lucknow. What needs to be done? Write Answer
- I have paid Bangalore road tax. So my rc is of Karnataka. But the number plate is of Maharashtra. What is the procedure and cost just to change my number plate? Write Answer
- Can I get non utilisation certificate from Domlur, Bengaluru traffic department if I have paid the road tax in Bengaluru and not registered my bike here. I have lost the original NOC and tax paid receipt as well Write Answer
- What is the penalty on the lapse in renewal of registration in Bangalore this year? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council (KDISC)
Vileena Rathnam Manohar
A R Ashraf
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.