Answered on July 07,2018
As per the Motor Vehicle Acts of different States, if you take your vehicle from home State to any other State, you need to get it re-registered within 6–12 months from the date of arrival in to migrated State. So if you are moving for a short duration, say less than 6 months, then there is no need for change of registration number. You can pay road tax in the migrated State and use it.
Step by step instruction to pay road tax is provided below.
- Find the nearest RTO as per your residential zone. Every city is divided into multiple zones and every zone has dedicated RTO.
- Calculate the tax amount: Road Tax or Life Time Tax (LTT) is calculated based on the price of the vehicle,age of vehicle and its cubic capacity. Life time of vehicle is assumed to be 15 years, so older your vehicle, lesser LTT you need to pay. Usually, it is around 10% of the price of the vehicle. Visit the counter where this calculation is done and get to know the tax to be paid
- Fill the form required for paying road tax as per the RTO of your State. For example, in Karnataka, FORM 14 (KMV- T?-14) is required for paying road tax. The Original Invoice should be accompanied with this.
- After this, deposit the required amount in the cash counter. If tax is less than INR 3000, payment can be made over the counter. If tax is more than INR 3000, a demand draft for the tax amount needs to be paid in favor of RTO.
Please note that for paying road tax, NOC is not required. NOC is required only in case of vehicle re-registration and ownership transfer.
- Where in Bangalore do I apply for LTT refund? Is it the respective reg. Office or central office. Please cite an ex. ka 01 Write Answer
- My Odisha registered bike's RC expired 1 year back. I am in Karnataka now without NOC. RC renewal fee paid. System shows RC can be renewed only after a physical inspection at the Odisha RTO. Is there any way I can get RC renewed at Karnataka RTO? Write Answer
- What is the penalty on the lapse in renewal of registration in Bangalore? It has been 5 years from the expire date fo registration. What would be the total fine in Bangalore ? Write Answer
- I have taken NOC from Chennai RTO to Bangalore RTO in 2015. However the NOC was not utilised and I lost all the original documents like RC, road tax payment receipt, NOC copy etc. What options do i have? Write Answer
- I am planning to move to Bangalore from Hyderabad for a period of 6 months. I have a 2 wheeler. Do I need to pay road tax? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
PGN Property Management
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.