Answered on July 07,2018
As per the Motor Vehicle Acts of different States, if you take your vehicle from home State to any other State, you need to get it re-registered within 6–12 months from the date of arrival in to migrated State. So if you are moving for a short duration, say less than 6 months, then there is no need for change of registration number. You can pay road tax in the migrated State and use it.
Step by step instruction to pay road tax is provided below.
- Find the nearest RTO as per your residential zone. Every city is divided into multiple zones and every zone has dedicated RTO.
- Calculate the tax amount: Road Tax or Life Time Tax (LTT) is calculated based on the price of the vehicle,age of vehicle and its cubic capacity. Life time of vehicle is assumed to be 15 years, so older your vehicle, lesser LTT you need to pay. Usually, it is around 10% of the price of the vehicle. Visit the counter where this calculation is done and get to know the tax to be paid
- Fill the form required for paying road tax as per the RTO of your State. For example, in Karnataka, FORM 14 (KMV- T?-14) is required for paying road tax. The Original Invoice should be accompanied with this.
- After this, deposit the required amount in the cash counter. If tax is less than INR 3000, payment can be made over the counter. If tax is more than INR 3000, a demand draft for the tax amount needs to be paid in favor of RTO.
Please note that for paying road tax, NOC is not required. NOC is required only in case of vehicle re-registration and ownership transfer.
- How to get a duplicate RC book/card?
- How to cancel RC (Registration Certificate) ?
- I have taken NOC for my bike from Cochin RTO in 2016. But I have not re-registered my vehicle to another state. So what is the current status of my vehicle? And what is way forward if I want to register my bike to my hometown (the same place about which I got NOC earlier)?
- I have re-registered my vehicle recently in another state. The Vahan database still shows the registration date as the one when the vehicle is registered and not the re-registration date. Is this okay?
- How can you removed blacklisted remark on vehicle from Parivahan website ?
- How to cancel online application from vahan website ?
- How to withdraw an online application from the Parivahan website?