Answered on July 07,2018
As per the Motor Vehicle Acts of different States, if you take your vehicle from home State to any other State, you need to get it re-registered within 6–12 months from the date of arrival in to migrated State. So if you are moving for a short duration, say less than 6 months, then there is no need for change of registration number. You can pay road tax in the migrated State and use it.
Step by step instruction to pay road tax is provided below.
- Find the nearest RTO as per your residential zone. Every city is divided into multiple zones and every zone has dedicated RTO.
- Calculate the tax amount: Road Tax or Life Time Tax (LTT) is calculated based on the price of the vehicle,age of vehicle and its cubic capacity. Life time of vehicle is assumed to be 15 years, so older your vehicle, lesser LTT you need to pay. Usually, it is around 10% of the price of the vehicle. Visit the counter where this calculation is done and get to know the tax to be paid
- Fill the form required for paying road tax as per the RTO of your State. For example, in Karnataka, FORM 14 (KMV- T?-14) is required for paying road tax. The Original Invoice should be accompanied with this.
- After this, deposit the required amount in the cash counter. If tax is less than INR 3000, payment can be made over the counter. If tax is more than INR 3000, a demand draft for the tax amount needs to be paid in favor of RTO.
Please note that for paying road tax, NOC is not required. NOC is required only in case of vehicle re-registration and ownership transfer.
- I have a Honda Brio Car registered in Indira Nagar RTO in Bangalore in 2013. I have recently shifted to Pune with my car. I have few questions (1) How do I get getting NOC certificate from Bangalore RTO being in Pune ? Any recommended agents/services ? (2) How long this NOC certificate is valid for ? (3) Do I have to change my car registration number in Maharashtra after getting NOC ? (4) In case if I want to driver my Bangalore registered car in Pune for approx. 2 to 3 years, should I change my car to Maharashtra number ? (5) What if I don't want to change my car number and if I obtain NOC ? Can I driver with NOC for 3 years ? (6) If NOC is not valid for 2 years, can I pay road tax in Pune and keep my car number as is ? (7) How do I get road tax refund from Bangalore RTO ?
- I have taken NOC from Pune RTO for Noida registration in 2016, but due to some issue NOC was not accepted by Noida RTO. But they mentioned that NOC was not used. Now don't want NOC for any other state. So is it necessary to cancel the NOC? Is my vehicle still registered with Pune RTO? Do I have to re-register my vehicle? What will be the cost if so?
- NOC issued from Bangalore RTO for my scooter got rejected by RTO in Kerala on account of the wrong address mentioned in NOC. Kerala RTO has not shared the NOC document yet to me. I am now having a scooter, which is not registered both in Karnataka and Kerala. RC status is NOC issued. How to get it back to active ( either in Karnataka or Kerala)?
- I moved from Pune to Hyderabad and took NOC from Pune RTO, and in six months (before NOC Expired) moved to Mumbai. So I took Non Utilization Certificate of NOC from Hyderabad RTO. As I'm in Maharashtra now, do i need to register my vehicle in Pune RTO or should I register it in Mumbai RTO. Is the process to re-register in both the cities of Maharashtra will be same ?
- After receiving the NOC from Bengaluru for moving the vehicle to Chennai for reregistration and name transfer, it is noticed that that the chassis number is stated wrongly in the RC smart card and NOC as well as in the original RC book issued in 2005. Can the vehicle be registered in Chennai based on correct chassis number stated in the original invoice of the car and Chassis pencil print and physical verification by Chennai RTO? Or is the rectification in NOC to be done by Bengaluru RTO? Does it involve issue of non utilisation certificate by Chennai RTO and payment of road tax in Chennai for the same?
- Do I need anything in written format from Bihar RTO to get the existing NOC canceled and get a new NOC from Bangalore RTO? Is there any such rule? Or should I simply take the expired NOC and Form 28 to Bangalore RTO and get a new one Issued? Some people are saying there is no need to get anything written from Bihar RTO since they do not have any records of my car.
- I got the NOC from Pune, Maharashtra and moved to Hyderabad, Telangana. I haven't re-registered my vehicle in six months in Hyderabad. So by default, that NOC is not valid now. And now, I'm transferring back to Mumbai, Maharashtra. So now what procedure do I need to follow?. Shall I get the NOC canceled from Pune RTO and keep it registered in Pune itself or should I re-register my vehicle in Mumbai RTO?