How to get fitness certificate of vehicle in Maharashtra?
Under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, the registration of the vehicle is treated as valid only if the vehicle has a valid certificate of fitness.
The following documents are required for obtaining the fitness certificate of the new vehicle in Maharashtra.
Sales certification Form 21
Valid Insurance Certificate
Valid Pollution Certificate
LOI from S.T.A. ( for commercial passenger vehicles)
Temporary registration if any
Roadworthy Certificate in Form 22 from the manufacturers for roadworthiness and pollution under control
Apply Online for Fitness Certificate
Follow the below steps to apply online for a fitness certificate in Maharashtra.
Visit the Parivahan website.
Enter the Vehicle Registration number.
Click on "Proceed"
Click on "Online Services"
Select "Application for Fitness Certificate"
Fill the Chassis number and mobile number
Click on "Generate OTP"
Enter the received OTP.
Click on the show details button to proceed further.
Fill the all required details and also provide valid insurance detail as required. The applicant can also see the fee details for the particular application.
Click on the payment button to make the required payment.
Validity of Fitness Certificate
The validity of the fitness certificate is different for private and commercial vehicles in Maharashtra.
In the case of Private Vehicles, the fitness certificates is valid for 15 years and thereafter for every 5 years.
In the case of Commercial vehicles, the fitness certificates is issued for new vehicle for 2 years and subsequently renewed for one year.
Documents Required for Renewal of Fitness Certificate
The following documents are required for the renewal of the fitness certificate of the vehicle in Maharashtra.
Road tax clearance proof
Fee of Rs. 25/-
Duplicate Fitness Certificate
The duplicate fitness is issued in case of loss, theft or mutilation. The duplicate fitness is issued after verifying the records of previous fitness.
Documents Required for Duplicate Fitness Certificate
The following documents are required for duplicate fitness certificate of the vehicle in Maharashtra.
Application on plain paper with date of issue/expiry of CoF (Certificate of Fitness)
Tax clearance report from account branch
Police report (N.C.R)
Challan clearance from traffic police and Transport Deptt.
Fees Rs.120/- only
Photocopy of fitness certificate if available
You can find a list of common RTO Works queries and their answer in the link below.
RTO Works queries and its answers
Tesz is a free-to-use platform for citizens to ask government-related queries. Questions are sent to a community of experts, departments and citizens to answer. You can ask the queries here.
- For vehicle ownership transfer i completed the online form and submitted the original documents at the sellers RTO. But the online form was filed to the Buyers RTO. Will the documents be send by sellers RTO to Buyers RTO by the government itself? Or will it be processed at the seller RTO and new RC send to buyer by the seller RTO? Or do i need to collect back the original documents from my RTO and submit it at buyer RTO? It has been almost a month and application is not inwarded yet.
- ഞാൻ ഒരു കാർ വാങ്ങി.അതിന്റെ ഒറിജിനൽ RC യും papers ഉം വണ്ടി എന്റെ പേരിലേക്ക് മാറ്റാനായി RTO ഓഫീസിൽ കൊടുത്തു . പക്ഷെ എനിക്ക് Rto ഓഫീസിൽ നിന്നും അയച്ചു തന്ന RC യിൽ duplicate എന്ന് രേഖപ്പെടുത്തിയിരിക്കുന്നു .ഞാൻ rto ഓഫീസിൽ അന്നെഷിച്ചപ്പോൾ വണ്ടി ആദ്യം രജിസ്റ്റർ ചെയ്ത rto ഓഫീസിൽ നിന്നും അയച്ചുകൊടുത്ത computer രേഖയിൽ Duplicate എന്ന് രേഖപ്പെടുത്തിയിട്ടുണ്ട് എന്നാണ് പറഞ്ഞത് .ഞാൻ ഒറിജിനൽ RC ആണ് rto ഓഫീസിൽ കൊടുത്തത് .എനിക്ക് ഒറിജിനൽ റസി കിട്ടാൻ എന്താണ് വേണ്ടത് ?
- I've received NOC from RTO Kottayam but due to lockdown, i haven't submitted the same to Chennai RTO. Chennai RTO was closed for past couple of months and so to get non inclusion certificate for my vehicle did not work out and now the vehicle registration has expired(May 2021) and i am in Kerala. Will i get any relaxation due to lockdown to re-register my vehicle in Kottayam RTO as travelling to Chennai from Kerala in the pandemic doesnt seem like the best option?
- I own a bike registered under Kerala Adoor RTO. For a short duration of time, I was in Bangalore. During that time, I paid the road tax in Janbharathi ( KA41), Bangalore for lifetime tax.Now its time for reregistration of bike. In the Parivahan website, its showing vehicle is registered under two RTO's.How to cancel the registration details from Bangalore RTO? The registration number is still KL only.
- എന്റെ സ്കൂട്ടർ Ernakulam rto registration ഉള്ളത് അണ്. Finance രണ്ടു വര്ഷം മുൻപ് ക്ലോസ് ചെയ്തു RC book പുറകിൽ hypothecation cancel sticker ഒട്ടിച്ചു തന്നു RTO office നിന്നും, പക്ഷേ RC ബുക്കിന്റെ frontil bank details ഇപ്പോഴും ഉണ്ട്. ഞാൻ ഇപ്പൊൾ വണ്ടി വിറ്റു, name change ചെയ്യുമ്പോൾ bank details തന്നെ മാറുമോ, അതോ hypothecation termination application submit ചെയ്യണോ. RC name change application Ernakulam RTO office submit ചെയ്താൽ മതിയോ അതോ buyer RTO officel sumbit ചെയ്യണോ
- I bought a motorcycle from Haryana state, as requested by me the owner of the vehicle got NOC from his RTO and I received the vehicle in Kochi and all original documents with it. When I approached Kakkanad RTO for re-registration and name change, the inspector refused to say that both the engine number and chassis number are hand punched ( but matching with RC book ). I am unable to use this motorcycle now. Is there any solution to register my motorcycle in my RTO?
- When doing ownership transfer through parivahan site 1) Do I need to select rto office near of the buyer or my RTO? 2) After filling and payment, Do we have to attach all documents and put them in the box of the buyer RTO or Seller RTO?
Top contributors this week
Tahsildar, Kurnool District, AP / Govind Singh R
PGN Property Management
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.