In all documents (Aadhar, voter ID, DL) my name is written as “Ravi K”. But on my passport, the initial 'K' is mentioned fully. Does this create any problems?

Jeevan Jeevan
Answered on August 22,2019

It might or might not create problem. To be on the safer side, it is better to get your passport reissued with change in your name rather than trying to get your name updated in all other documents (Aadhaar card,Driving License, Pan Card etc.).

If you find any mistake/error in the particulars printed in the passport booklet as per the application form submitted, please return the passport for necessary rectification. Any additional fees required to be paid would depend solely on merit of the case as decided by the Assistant Passport Officer )/ Passport Officer ) . If there is a misrepresentation of facts, then penalty could also be imposed. However, applicants are requested to apply online with the view to ensure that the passports are delivered without any typographical errors since applicants have themselves fed the data.

If you have done a mistake while filling your passport application form i.e. you have filled your full name in the "Given Name" field, then you will need to apply for re-issue of passport for change in personal particulars. For updating your name in Passport, you need to submit the following documents.

  • Old Passport in original with self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page (previously ECNR) and the page of observation (if any), made by Passport Issuing Authority and validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport

  • At least two public/school documents issued in the desired/ applied changed name to ascertain that the applicant has actually changed his/her name

  • Clippings of two local news papers or the Gazette notification of the concerned State Government, as the case may be

Manoj Manoj
Answered on August 22,2019

You need to get your name updated in Passport. For this, you have to visit Passport Sewa Kendra and return the Passport. Sometimes, they will get it corrected by charging a small fee. Otherwise, they will ask you to apply for Passport again. So the exact procedure varies depends on case to case basis.

If they ask you to get a passport re-issued, then you need to find out the documents to be submitted by checking the below link.

Document Reissue Advisor