Answered on February 26,2019
You might require a birth certificate due to either of the following cases.
- Birth not recorded at the event of Birth
- Birth recorded at the event of Birth, but Birth Certificate is not available with you
Birth not recorded at the event of Birth
If the birth is not recorded, the applicant should get a Non-Availability Certificate from the relevant authority and documents such as address proof are required in the absence of hospital records. The Non-Availability Certificate is an acknowledgement or endorsement from the authorities stating that the certificate is not available with them. Applicants have to fill a form and submit it to the authorities, who will then verify the data and issue the acknowledgement.
You have to take this certificate and contact a lawyer. They'll ask you to bring your school passing certifiable, voter ID card etc to prove that your Date of Birth as stated by you. A lawyer files an application in the court and after verification a court order will be issued to issue you a birth certificate.
Birth recorded at the event of Birth, but Birth Certificate is not available with you
Few of the state governments in India allow online application of birth certificates. Details of them are provided below.
If you belong to any of these States, check the website of that particular State whether they allow search and download of birth certificate. For example, Government of Kerala allows searching of the birth records based on Date of Birth,Gender and Mother’s Name as shown below.
So even if your birth certificate is not available with you, you can search for it and download it, provided your State digitised the birth records.
- I had my old birth certificate. Now as a part of my further studies I need to submit the birth certificate in printed format. However, when I searched the certificate in sevana online certificate, I was not able to find them. What should I do? Write Answer
- How to change name in birth certificate in Tamil Nadu? Write Answer
- I’m in 10th grade currently. What should I answer to the question education qualification while filling the passport seva form? Write Answer
- How can I add surname in my son's birth certificate in Mumbai? Write Answer
- My mom was born in 1960. She doesn't have birth certificate. She has PAN , Adhaar, some old Xerox of marksheet, our registered rent agreement. But police is asking for birth certificate for Passport. What should I do? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council (KDISC)
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
PGN Property Management
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.