I have to give my landlord's PAN to my employer to claim the HRA exemption. Can I give Aadhaar number instead of PAN to my employer?

Naveen Naveen
Answered on December 17,2019

The recently amended income tax law allows an individual to quote his/her Aadhaar number in lieu of PAN where quoting of PAN is mandatory. The recent changes allow an individual to give his/her landlord's Aadhaar number to the employer to claim house rent allowance (HRA) exemption, provided the landlord has either linked his Aadhaar with PAN or he has not obtained the PAN yet.