Answered on January 15,2019
No, you cannot change your pan card number. However, there are cases when people have 2 pan card numbers.
Some of the reasons for the same are the following.
- When a person applies for a PAN, and it is not received within some time, he reapplies for it resulting in him getting 2 PAN.
- When a person wants to make a correction in PAN, he applies for new PAN instead of applying for a correction. It results in having more than one PAN
- There are people who already have a PAN and they knowingly apply for multiple PANs with mala fide intentions of splitting their income or assets to different PANs.
However, it is illegal to hold more than one PAN. There is penalty of Rs 10,000 under section 272 B of the Income-tax Act, 1961, which can be imposed in case of holding multiple PANs. Further, if the person holds multiple PANs for wilful evasion of taxes, the individual can also be liable for prosecution under income-tax laws.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
- By mistake, I link my pancard to my wife Aadharcard. How can I change?
- From past 3 weeks i have been trying to add my aadhar card to digilocker, and after entering otp it says authentication error. How to add my aadhar card. But in case of pan card, i have been able to add successfully. Can anyone help?
- I have adharcard but dont have pancard. Can I open bank account?
- Am carrying two pan card with different number i want to surrender one of them what is the process and how much have to pay?
- Pan card me id number change ho sakta hai
- How to change phone number in PAN card?
- Can i use instant e pan card for opening bank account?
Top contributors this week
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
Vileena Rathnam Manohar
A R Ashraf
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.