What is the procedure to get fitness certificate for my bike in Bangalore ?
Fitness certificate for vehicles are granted for a period of 15 years at the time of the registration. All vehicles shall carry valid fitness certificate to ply on road. Steps involved in application for renewal of fitness certificate are provided below.
- Apply for renewal of fitness certificate in Form KMV 20. (Check Part II of the pdf for "Application for renewal of Certificate of Fitness")
- Fill up the form with the required details.
- Submit the form along with the following documents.
- Original Registration Certificate
- Copy of Insurance Certificate
- Copy of Road Tax receipt
- Copy of Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Copy of Id and Address proof
- Pay the required fee. In the case of two-wheelers, it is INR 200.
- Produce the Vehicle in good condition for inspection at RTO
- After the inspection, if the vehicle complies with the requirements of Chapter VII of the Motor Vehicles Act, the fitness certificate will be renewed. The validity of the renewed fitness certificate is one year.
The registration of vehicle is treated as valid only if the vehicle has valid certificate of Fitness. In case of Private vehicles the fitness certificates is valid for 15 years and there after renewed at every 5 years. The fitness is checked and certified by the Registering Authority. In case of Transport Vehicles the fitness certificate is issued for a new vehicle for 2 years and subsequently renewed every year. Fitness certificate is issued to check the pollution caused by the emission of smoke from the vehicles, to maintain the vehicle in proper condition and to avoid accidents.
For a Non-Transport Vehicle (Private Vehicles), the Certificate of Fitness is equal to Validity of Registration i.e., 15 years for a new vehicle from the date of issue and 5 years for others from the date Renewal of Registration. For Non-Transport Category, the vehicle should be in good condition as per the details mentioned in the Form 20, 21 or any relevant documents prescribed by MV Act and Rules.
Following documents are required for renewal of fitness certificate.
- Form C.F.R.A for Renewal of Fitness Certificate in case of Transport Vehicle and in case of Non-Transport Vehicle
- Vehicle for physical Inspection by the Inspecting Authority
- Certificate of Registration
- Insurance Certificate
- Pollution under Control Certificate if the vehicle is more than 1 year old.
- Tax payment receipt.