I was born in the UK. Both my parents were born in India, then became East Pakistan. At the time of their departure to come to the UK it was East Pakistan, several years later became Bangladesh. 90% of my mum and dad's extended family reside in India. Will I be granted a OCI? What documents will I need, my father is the only one alive and has sylhet on his passport for place of birth, no birth certificate.

The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) scheme is available to individuals who were Indian citizens, or whose parents or grandparents were Indian citizens, at any time. However, the OCI eligibility criteria can be complex and specific, and the process for obtaining an OCI card involves various documents and requirements.

In your case, it appears that your parents were born in India (which was later part of East Pakistan and then Bangladesh), and therefore, you may be eligible for an OCI card. However, to confirm your eligibility and to complete the application process, you will need to provide various documents, including proof of Indian citizenship of your parents, proof of your relationship with your parents, and your birth certificate.

Regarding your father's place of birth, if he does not have a birth certificate, he may need to obtain a certificate from the local authorities in the place where he was born. Additionally, you may need to provide other supporting documents, such as your parents' marriage certificate and their passports, to establish your eligibility for an OCI card.

It is advisable to consult the official website of the Indian embassy or consulate in your country of residence for detailed information on the OCI scheme and the application process, including the required documents and fees. You may also consider seeking assistance from a qualified immigration consultant or lawyer to help you with the application process.



How would you rate the answer?

Excellent Good Neutral Poor Bad

Thank you for your response..

Hey , can you help?
Answer this question