How to change my spouse name in registered marriage certificate in TamilNadu, Trichy district ?

Veena Veena
Answered on October 20,2019

You need to change your spouse name by notifying it in Gazette. 

Procedure to change your name

  1. Get a notarized affidavit declaring that you got married and you intend to change your name after marriage.
  2. Get the demand draft of Rs. 100/- in favor of Gazette department for the charges related to name change.
  3. Write an application to Gazette department requesting name change and also to publish the same in the next issue of the Tamil nadu Gazette. 
  4. Attach the copy of the following documents along with application and notarized affidavit.
    • Marriage Certificate
    • Address Proof
  1. Send the documents to Tamilnadu Gazette office by registered post.
  2. You will receive a Gazette notification to your address by registered post within 15 to 20 working days, which can be used as proof of your name change.

Use the gazette notification of name change along with Marriage Certificate for all future government purposes.

Vijay Vijay
Answered on May 20,2019

For whole of Tamilnadu, The Inspector General of Registration is the only authority to make correction in Marriage Certificate.So you have to approach Inspector general of Registration in Trichy to update your name in Marriage certificate

Hashim Hashim
Answered on October 20,2019

If the name is mentioned incorrectly due to clerical mistake/typing mistake/ink mistake/ambiguity of handwriting etc. then the Registrar of Marriages corrects the same, when the matter is reported to them by way of a written application.

If the mistake is due to the reasons other than above then one needs to make an application to the Registrar of Marriages - who in turn may correct it or refuse the same. In the latter case, the Registrar of Marriages shall have to pass speaking order and that too in writing.

Based on this order, you can file an appeal with the senior official or Registrar General who has been conferred with the powers to pass the further orders. Based on this order, your certificate can be corrected. If you are further aggrieved by the order, you can approach the court of Law and the decision shall be taken by the Hon. Court.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question