Answered on June 16,2018
If you want to file income tax returns for a financial year, whose due date of filing income tax return and due date of filing belated income tax return has elapsed, you can file income tax return under Section 119(2)(b) of the Income Tax Act, 1961. The provision mentioned allows Central Board of Direct Taxes to admit a claim submitted for delayed:
- Refund, or
- Other relief under the Act
after the expiry of the period. As per this provision, income tax can be filed within 6 years from the end of assessment year for which income tax return has to be filed.
- In a case where disputed tax contains qualifying tax arrears as also non-qualifying tax arrears (such as tax arrears relating 10 assessment made in respect of undisclosed foreign income): Whether the assessee is eligible to the Vivad se Vishwas itself? If eligible, whether quantification of disputed tax can exclude/ignore non-qualifying tax arrears?
- My son is an NRI and his tenant has to deduct TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) every month and deposit in the bank. After every quarter, he has to submit Form 27A and 27Q online and then generate Form 16A. Is it possible that I deposit TDS amount as advance tax every month in the bank?
- I hold a PAN (permanent Account Number) and OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) card and am a current citizen and tax resident of Australia. I am planning to come back to India after retirement. Will my Australian retirement funds which are tax-free in Australia be also tax-free in India, if I decide to become an Indian tax resident in the future?
- I am a non-resident Indian (NRI). I do (Systematic Investment Plan)SIPs in six equity mutual fund schemes that amount to INR1.8 lakh a month. I do not have any income in India and every year I get refund for tax deducted at source (TDS) of debt funds. I would like to churn my portfolio (units that have completed 1 year) every year before 31 March and reinvest the amount in same plan before 31 March. Will long-term capital gain tax (LTCG) tax reflect on my 26AS certificate? Can I claim refund as I do not have any income in India?
- Are there exemptions on income for Non-resident Indian (NRI) in respect of Tax returns filing?
- I was an Non-Resident India (NRI) for 6 years (FY2009-10 to FY2014-15). Then, I spent most of the last 2 financial years in India. For tax purposes, I attained Not Ordinarily Resident (NOR) status for two financial years (FY 2015-16 and FY2016-17). What would be the actual count of days that would determine my tax status in India? How will Indian tax authorities consider the taxability of my Dubai salary?
- I am an Indian resident. Can I ask the US firm to deposit the money directly into my India bank account? What will be the interest rates paid to me by the banks in India? Will the US firm be expected to deduct TDS and remit to income-tax department in India and give me proof of such deposit in Form 16. Will I need to charge Goods and Services Tax, (GST) on the earnings and remit to government?