Answered on August 23,2019
OBC NCL reservation is for candidates belonging to OBC category whose annual income from all sources is less than INR 8 lakhs per annum. However, EWS reservation is for those candidates who do not belong to SC/ST/OBC but their annual income from all sources is less than 8 lakhs per annum. So both are different and you cannot be eligible for both at the same time.
EWS category has stricter eligibility criteria than OBC-NCL category. Candidates should satisfy both income and asset criteria to get Economically Weaker Section certificate.
Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs and whose family has gross annual income below Rs 8.00 lakh are to be identified as EWSs for benefit of reservation.
Income shall also include income from all sources i.e. salary, agriculture, business, profession, etc. for the financial year prior to the year of application.
Also persons whose family owns or possesses any of the following assets shall be excluded from being identified as EWS, irrespective of the family income:-
5 acres of agricultural land and above;
Residential at of 1000 sq ft. and above;
Residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities;
Residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
The property held by a "Family" in different locations or different places/cities would be clubbed while applying the land. or property holding test to determine EWS status.
The term "Family" for this purpose will include the person who seeks the benefit of reservation, his/her parents and siblings below the age of 18 years as also his/her spouse and children below the age of 18 years.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
- If I am from Andhra Pradesh and belong to the Kalinga Vysya community of Srikakulam district, which falls under the BCD category in my state, and I wish to apply for central level exams like GATE, etc., which category should I consider myself under? If I am categorized as OC (Open Category), can I also apply for EWS (Economically Weaker Sections) reservation? Write Answer
- What is the procedure to get caste certificate in AP for purpose of EWS certificate when my sub-caste name is not mentioned in school TC certificate? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council (KDISC)
Vileena Rathnam Manohar
BLUES AND JACKS OVERSEAS
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.