Answered on August 06,2019
Service Tax Registration is a tax registration required for businesses providing services in India. Service tax registration is an indirect tax wherein the service provider pays the tax and recovers the same from the recipient of the taxable service. At present, Service Tax is levied at 12.3% on the value of the taxable service. This includes Education Cess @ 2% on the service tax amount, and Secondary and Higher Education Cess @ 1% on the service tax amount.
Service Tax registration is mandatory for every person or business in India that has provided a taxable service of value exceeding Rs.9 lakhs, in the previous financial year. Service Tax Registration is required for identification of the assesse, deposit service tax, file service tax returns and undertake various processes required under the Finance Act, 1994. Failure to obtain service tax registration would attract penalty in terms of section 77 of the Finance Act, 1994.
Top contributors this week
SEHEER A KADER OTTAYIL
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.