Answered on September 22,2022
Service tax was an indirect tax levied by the government on services offered by service providers. Introduced under Section 65 of the Finance Act, 1994, service tax was on July 2017 replaced by Goods and Services Tax (GST), which subsumed the various types of indirect taxes.
Answered on August 06,2019
Service Tax Registration is a tax registration required for businesses providing services in India. Service tax registration is an indirect tax wherein the service provider pays the tax and recovers the same from the recipient of the taxable service. At present, Service Tax is levied at 12.3% on the value of the taxable service. This includes Education Cess @ 2% on the service tax amount, and Secondary and Higher Education Cess @ 1% on the service tax amount.
Service Tax registration is mandatory for every person or business in India that has provided a taxable service of value exceeding Rs.9 lakhs, in the previous financial year. Service Tax Registration is required for identification of the assesse, deposit service tax, file service tax returns and undertake various processes required under the Finance Act, 1994. Failure to obtain service tax registration would attract penalty in terms of section 77 of the Finance Act, 1994.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
- What if I register a company in Dubai and all the income are made in Dubai but I am staying in India. Will my income be taxable in India ? Sometimes I use to remit some profits to my Indian Bank account. Will I be taxed? Write Answer
- If I open a company in Dubai but operate it from India am I liable to pay any tax in India ? Business tax or Individual tax ? Write Answer
- What is the procedure for buying stamp paper in the MNC Companies name? Can anyone buy the Rs.1000/- stamp paper, mentioned the MNC companies registered office address in the place of rubber stamp of stamp paper vendor? Write Answer
- निधी कंपणी कशाप्रकारे चालवाता येईल? Write Answer
- നിധി കമ്പനിയെ കുറിച്ച് വിവരിക്കാമോ ? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
pravasi online helper
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
Tahsildar, Kurnool District, AP / Govind Singh R
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.