Answered on August 23,2019
Yes, you can get insurance for the car after it got expired. However, you must not let your car insurance expire in the first place. You must make it a point to renew your car insurance policy when the due date is nearing. However, if you fail to renew your motor insurance policy on time, it expires.
First of all, there is a lot of risk and penalties involved when your policy lapses. Hence, you must renew the policy on time and save your precious time and money.
You must know that the car insurance policy is expired and therefore your car is fully at risk. If anything happens to your car, you are not liable to receive any kind of cover for the damage caused. Whether your car gets stolen or catches fire, you will have to manage without any financial assistance.
Even if you have managed to miss out on the due date for renewal, you can contact your insurance agent and take things forward. Your agent will be in a better position to help you out in such cases. Your agent could reinstate the insurance policy and save you from paying any kind of penalty.
After finalizing on the insurance company, you'll have to schedule a vehicle survey at the earliest. The earlier you do, the easier it gets!
A representative from the insurance company will inspect, review and ascertain any pre-existing damages of your vehicle. Based on his observations, insurance may or may not be provided.
Once the survey has concluded, you can buy a car insurance policy. You should remember that the inspection is valid for 24 hours only, so do not waste any time post your appointment.
Answered on August 23,2019
Follow the below steps when your car insurance expires.
Contact your insurance agent immediately - This is the first and foremost step which you should take. Your insurance agent is like a relationship manager with the right kind of expertise. The insurance agent might be able to reinstate your lapsed policy without the need to pay a penalty. Also, it is advisable that you do not make any further delays, especially if you have an old car. The worst case scenario would be that you will be required to pay higher premiums.
Avoid driving your car - Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere, do not drive your car if your insurance policy has expired. In case you run into an accident, you will have to pay for the damages caused to yourself, your car and any third party involved.
Purchase the policy immediately - As soon as the inspection is completed by the insurance company, go ahead and buy the insurance policy within 24 hours.
Opt for a new policy - Apart from renewing your policy, this is also a good time to purchase a new car insurance from a different vendor. Online comparison is a good option.
Documentation - In case of new policy purchase, keep your basic documents such as previous year’s policy and Registration Certificate ready. These are the documents which the insurance agent will ask for as a mandatory requirement.
Vehicle survey - When a car insurance policy expires, the insurer will usually send a surveyor to review any pre-existing damages to ensure your eligibility for car insurance. The inspector will decide the predetermined fixed deductible based on the extent of damage, if any. The predetermined fixed deductible is charged in any of your future claims.
- What is Stand Alone Policy in Compulsory Personal Accident Policy? Write Answer
- Ente achanu kazhinja month oru two wheeler accident patti. vandi odicha time thalakarangi nirthiyittirunna vandiyil idichu. veenu kalil pottalund aa time aa vandi number note cheythilla. pinned aa vandi avide kanunnumilla. claim cheyyanulla procedure enthanu? Write Answer
- ബിക്കിനിന്റെ CC (156) RC ബുക്കിലും ഇൻഷുറൻസിലും (150) വ്യത്യാസമുണ്ട്. ഇത് തേർഡ് പാർട്ടി ക്ലെയിം ചെയ്യുമ്പോൾ റിജെക്ട് ആകുമോ? Write Answer
- ഇൻഷുറൻസ് കമ്പനിയിൽനിന്നും ഇൻഷുർ എടുത്തിട്ട് പരിവാഹൻ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന്റെ സൈറ്റിൽ ശരിയായ expirey date കാണിക്കു നില്ല എന്ത് കൊണ്ടാണ് അങ്ങനെ? Write Answer
- I am fed up of Policy bazaar calls during Insurance renewal time. Where should I complain? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Molleti Ramesh Babu
Jean at Adventus Canada immigration
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.