Can an NRI settled abroad vote in India?
Yes, they can vote. To register their name in Electoral Roll, all they need is a valid Indian Passport showing their name and place of residence in India.
If you are an NRI, follow the below steps to apply Voter ID card online.
- Visit National Voter Service Portal
- Click on Form - 6A (Apply online for registration of overseas voter)
- Enter details about your State,District, Assembly/Parliamentary Constituency.
- Enter your basic details. The name as it should appear in the electoral roll and Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) should be furnished. The full name should be written in the first box and surname should be written in the second box. In case you do not have a surname, just write the given name. Caste should not be mentioned except where the caste name is used as part of the elector’s name or a surname. Honorific appellations like Shri, Smt. Kumari, Khan, Begum, Pandit etc. should not be mentioned. Please mention your name in English and official language of the State both, if possible.
- Enter details about your place of birth
- Enter Place of present ordinary Residence in India (Full address as given in the passport)
- Enter the passport and visa details
- Enter the details regarding your absence from the country and provide your present residential address.
- Upload your photograph and valid pages of Passport which includes self attested photocopies of the relevant pages of the passport containing photograph, address in India and the pages of passport containing the valid visa endorsement
- Provide declaration
- Once you have entered all the details, click on "Submit" button.
- Now you will receive an email with a link that lets you track your voter ID application status. It may take around 30 days for your application to be processed and for a voter ID to be issued.