Answered on December 27,2017
1. As soon as you purchase a used car, you must ensure that the insurance policy is transferred in the name of the new owner within 14 days.
2. To facilitate policy transfer and to ensure that the entire process is completed with ease, you need to fill a fresh proposal form and submit the evidence of sale— transfer of registration certificate, forms 29 and 30 duly signed by the previous owner along with the transfer fee and previous policy copy—to the insurance company. The insurance company shall then pass the endorsement of transfer.
3. The change of ownership in the registration certificate may take some time at the regional transport office ( RTO). However, to transfer policy to your name, the documents as listed above are sufficient to initiate the endorsement. Submitting a copy of new registration certificate after it is issued by RTO will help in avoiding any glitches at the time of claim.
4. In case your insurance policy has been transferred but the transfer in the registration certificate copy is not made or the proof of same is not submitted to the insurance company, then in the event of a claim, you will have to furnish the proof of transfer of registration certificate to the insurance company to ensure your claim is settled.
5. If the transfer is still in process, the claim will not be repudiated. However, it will be paid after the proof of transfer in registration certificate has been submitted to the insurance company.
Answered on December 27,2017
To begin with, you need to ensure that the motor insurance policy gets transferred to your name within 14 days of purchase. You need to submit forms 29 and 30 that bears the sign of the previous owner to the car insurance company. A copy of the car policy has to be submitted along with the transfer fee and transfer of registration certificate. All these have to be submitted as a proof of sale with a new proposal form. Next, from the claims perspective, the registration certificate is very crucial. You can submit this certificate along with other claim documents to ensure a smooth settlement. In case the transfer process is still in progress, you would need to produce appropriate evidence of the same to the car insurance company.
- My Unicorn bike of was stolen. It has comprehensive third party insurance. I bought it 2 years back. How much will the Insurance company pay me ?
- Insurance of my Bolero was over and it got it in to an accident. If I renew the insurance now, can I claim the damage ?
- എന്റെ father ന്റെ വാഹനത്തിന് രണ്ട് മാസം മുന്നെ ഞാൻ insurance എടുത്തിരുന്നു. ഇത് ഒർമ്മയ്യില്ലാതെ father വേറെ കമ്പിനിയുടെ insurance ഇന്നലെ എടുത്തു. ഇതിന് എന്തങ്കിലും പരിഹാരം മുണ്ടോ ?
- If we met with an accident in a rented vehicle, will we get insurance coverage?
- I have an Innova Crysta. Last year I have bought a Comprehensive / Standard Policy. I made a claim in my existing policy. The policy expiry date is due. Which Insurance should I choose as I want it to be cashless?
- I bought a second hand bike. I am still not the registered owner of the bike. Can I get the insurance in my name ?
- I have first party insurance and my KTM front tyre has been damaged. Is it possible to claim it and tyre age is 2 years.