Answered on September 05,2019
To set up a liquor shop in India, you need L6 License. It is a liquor license issued to the retail vendors of Indian liquor or beer. For example, License given to Liquor shops are L6 License. For premises of such liquor shops, proposals are invited by selected and approved corporations. The Excise commissioner grants the license only after looking into the suitability of such premises. It is mainly granted to selected undertakings of state govt.
Answered on September 05,2019
Every state has its different rules and regulations governing the sale of alcohol. For example, in Karnataka, you can sell liquor through liquor shops whereas in Kerala liquor is sold only through Government owned outlets of Kerala State Beverages Corporation.
So we will discuss the general process to be followed to set up a liquor shop in India. To set up a liquor business you need a liquor license. A liquor license is a permit given by the state excise department to those who wish to sell alcoholic beverages at a certain place.
Types of liquor license
Different types of licenses are issued by each state government. An individual or company can seek the grant of following licenses:
L1 License: For Wholesale Vendors
The primary job of L-1 Licensee is to supply liquor to the holders of Licenses of L-6, L-7, L-9, L-10, L-12, L-13, L-14, L-15, L-16, L-17, L-18, L-19, L-20, L-21, L-28, L-29 and other liquor licenses. It is granted to Company or a society or a partnership firm or proprietorship firm having licensed manufacturing units (distillery / brewery /winery/bottling plant).
L-6 License: For retail vendors
L-6 License is issued to the retail vendors of Indian liquor/beer. In regard to premises for such liquor shop, proposals are invited by selected and approved corporations. The grant of this license by the excise commissioner is given only after looking into the suitability of such premises.
L-3/L-5 Licences: For hotels
The govt. grants these licenses to hotels which are holding star classification and also the approval from Tourism Department of Govt. of India which is considered necessary for grant of License in form L-3. L-3 license empowers the hotel for service of foreign liquor to the residents in their rooms.
These hotels can also seek separate License in form L-5 for serving the liquor in exclusive bars and the restaurants in the hotel premises.
L-19 License: For clubs
L-19 license is granted to a club registered with the Registrar of Firms/Registrar of Cooperative Societies for service of foreign liquor to its members.
L-49A license: Marriages, Parties etc.
This license can be obtained on payment of Rs. 3,000/- for service of liquor in any party, function, marriage etc. at a specific premises anywhere in the State excluding public parks subject to the following conditions: -
1. The area should be away from public view.
2. Liquor should be served to adults above 25 years of age.
3. Liquor should be procured from authorized source in the State.
How to set up a business in India from scratch?Setting up a Business in India involves the following steps Choosing the type of business Business Registration Process Central and State level Approvals / Compliances Wi..
- I m a handicapped person aged 46 yrs. Need help for a little business to start. Is there any government scheme I can apply? Write Answer
- Which is the best state in India to start a manufacturing plant? Write Answer
- For organizations planning to relocate to India post-Covid-19, which is the best investment destination in India to start a manufacturing plant? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Molleti Ramesh Babu
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
Jean at Adventus Canada immigration
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.