Answered on September 20,2019
Follow the below steps to apply for transfer the ownership of the vehicle in the event of the death of the registered owner.
Apply in Form 31 within the period of three months of the event of death to the RTO where your vehicle is registered for the transfer of ownership of the vehicle in your mother's name.
Pay appropriate fee and tax as specified in rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, For Private cars in Tamil Nadu, it is INR 300 and Service Charge is INR 25 extra.
Additional Documents Required
Following documents are required for the ownership transfer.
Notice of transfer in Form-29 (in Duplicate).
Application in Form-30 in Duplicate, if it is under Hypothecation
PAN or GIR or Form-60/61 of I.T. Department (other than two-wheelers).
Valid Emission Certificate.
Proof of address(Any of Aadhar Card/Passport/Electoral Roll/LIC Policy/Payslip issued - Govt. Office (or) a Local Body/ Ration Card/ Affidavit Sworn by the applicant before an Executive (or) a First Class Judicial Magistrate (or) Notary Public)
No objection certificate from the Financier, if the vehicle with Hire Purchase.
Valid Tax paid.
Death certificate in relation to the registered owner
Answered on September 20,2019
You can also book an appointment for ownership transfer online by visiting the Parivahan website. Follow the below step to do it.
Prerequisites for applying in Parivahan website
Valid Vehicle Number, Chassis Number and Mobile Number for OTP
Valid details about payment modes like Internet banking, Debit/Credit Card etc details for making payments
Steps to avail Vahan Online Service
Visit Parivahan website
Enter Valid Vehicle Registration Number and click on Proceed
Select the Service to be availed by Clicking the respective Service under Online Services Menu
Enter Chassis Number and Mobile Number.
Enter the OTP received and click on Show details.
Enter further details as per the form displayed.
Click Submit and then Confirm and Make Payment.
Once Payment Done, Print Receipt.
Book Appointment (if applicable) to visit RTO for the verification process
Visit the Respective RTO with required documents except for the services Pay your tax, RC Particulars
Note on Online Payment:
Online payment in Vahan Online Services involves Payment Gateway and third-party banks in addition to Vahan application. In case of delayed response by banks or payment gateway, the transaction remains pending. User needs to wait for stipulated waiting period (1-2 hours, which varies from state-to-state) and then use the "Check Pending" option to find the latest status and print the receipt, if already successful.
In case of
- Payment Failure : Apply Again
- Payment Success but Receipt Printing Failed : Wait for 1-2 hrs, Then On Home Page Click Status>Check Pending Transaction Enter Registration Number and Chassis Number. Click Show details, Select the respective Transaction and Click Check to Bank and confirm Payment. If Transaction failed then apply again
- I got Bike NOC from Pune in Dec 2019 to re-register in Chennai. Soon, Pandemic started. Later moved to my hometown Andhra Pradesh. Now, I would like to go back to Chennai & register my bike. What are the cost-effective options available for me? Write Answer
- I am in Tamilnadu. I have purchased two wheeler from my friend. I have completed online form at Parivahan website. I didn't go to RTO office to submit this yet. Already 45 days were over. Is any fine will be charged if i submit now? Write Answer
- Kya main tamilnaidu ki bike talangana main chala sakti hu? Write Answer
- The registration renewal date of TN registered two wheeler was one year back. I want to apply for fitness certificate. It was informed that I should pay green tax. I am confused because the green tax payment is repeating for every 5 years at 500 rs each. What to do? Write Answer
- How can I get NOC for my 2 wheeler in online (Andhra Pradesh to Tamil Nadu)? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Molleti Ramesh Babu
Jean at Adventus Canada immigration
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.