What are the eligibility criteria for getting a residence/domicile certificate in Pondicherry?

Ramesh Ramesh
Answered on March 12,2020

The residence criteria for Pondicherry is provided below.

  • The candidate or whose parent (either Mother or Father or Both) or Guardian (in case of children who have lost both the parents) has been residing continuously in this Union Territory for at least five years preceding the date of application

  • Those who have passed the SSLC / HSC or any other public examination and for that purpose had undergone academic studies continuously for 5 successive classes immediately preceding the qualifying examination (including the year of qualifying examination) in a recognized educational institution located in Pondicherry UT and having their residence in Pondicherry UT for 5 years continuously during that period. Mere stay in places such as residential hostel would not amount to the residence.

  • Children of natives of U.T. of Puducherry who has declared any place in U.T of Puducherry as their Home town and so certified bY their respective Heads of office. Nativity Certificate in the prescribed format has to be enclosed. G.O. Ms. No. 64 dated 25'h MaY 2006 of Chief Secretariat, Education-I

  • Children whose parents are Central State Govemment Servants/ Defense Personnel/Central Paramilitary Forces/ Employees of Public Sector Undertakings wholly or substantially owned either by the Central Government or by the Puducherry Administration posted and serving in U.T. of Puducherry for at least a minimum continuous period of three years immediately prior to the last date of submission of application.
    Children of the above said employees should have studied HSC / S.S.L.C. of two years in any of the schools in the U.T. of Puducherry and should have passed the qualifying examinations (HSC/ S.S.L.C.) from the same school. ( G.O. Ms. No. 04, Puducherry dated 09.02.2016 of the Chief Secretariat (Hr. & Tech. Edn.), Puducherry.

  • Children of Defence Personnel who were killed or disabled in action and children of Central Government Servants/ Pondicherry UT Govemment Servants,/Defence PersonneV Employees of public Sector Undertaking wholly or substantially run either by the Central Government or by the Puducherry UT Administration who died while in the service in the Puducherry UT.

  • French nationals residing in the Puducherry UT and covered by the terms of the "Treaty of Cession" shall be treated on par with the candidates who produce the prescribed Puducherry UT Residence Certificate. Such French Nationals will not be required to produce Residence Certificate; instead, they should produce a "Certificate of Registration" issued for this purpose by the French Consulate at Puducherry. Children of these French Nationals shall not be considered for admission under the quota of non-residence.