Answered on October 01,2019
If you apply for a new PAN card, it results in you having multiple PAN cards. It is illegal to hold more than one PAN. There is a penalty of Rs 10,000 under section 272 B of the Income-tax Act, 1961, which can be imposed in case of holding multiple PANs. Further, if the person holds multiple PANs for wilful evasion of taxes, the individual can also be liable for prosecution under income-tax laws.
Instead of applying for a new PAN card, you should apply for a correction in PAN card. You can also make corrections in Aadhaar card if the details in it are wrong.
So you can either update your details in PAN card or in Aadhaar card.
Update details in PAN card
In order to update the details in pan card, please follow the below steps
Open the NSDL website ( https://tin.ti..)
Read all the instruction carefully
At the bottom of the page, you will be able to "Select the Category of Applicant"
Read and fill the form carefully.
Finally, after filling up the form, a fee of Rs.107 has to be paid by Demand Draft/Cheque/Credit or Debit Card/Net Banking.
In Paperless PAN Application, you can Upload your Photo, Signature & Documents Online and there is no need for Physical Submission of the Documents & the PAN Card Address Change process would end here.
If you are planning to submit a hard copy, you will get an acknowledgment Form with a 16 Digit Acknowledgement Number. Take a printout of this Acknowledgement Form, fill the required details and mail the documents to address of NSDL
Update details in Aadhaar card
You can check the below link for updating name and address in Aadhaar card.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
How to download Aadhaar card ? Aadhaar (UID) is a 12 digit unique number which helps you to verify your identity all over the country. Apart from serving the purpose of verification, aadhar also helps individual to open n..
Click here to get a detailed guide
How to Update Aadhaar Card Details ?Aadhaar is a 12 digit unique number which helps you to verify your identity all over the country. All the details provided in Aadhaar regarding your identity can be updated. Following detai..
Click here to get a detailed guide
- Is it possible to open a new zero balance account with just an Aadhar card if I don't have a PAN? Which bank offers such accounts? Write Answer
- Is it possible to change the Date of Birth in my Aadhaar card to match the DOB on my PAN card? I only have the PAN card as the correct proof of my DOB. Could you kindly suggest the process for changing the DOB in my Aadhaar card to match the one on my PAN card? Write Answer
- How can I cancel my e pancard? Write Answer
- Can we create a bank account with Aadhar card and pan card having different addresses? Write Answer
- We have only the year in date of birth but we don't have month and date. Can we link Aadhaar and Pan? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
Vileena Rathnam Manohar
A R Ashraf
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.