My NRI husband has abandoned me. What should I do?

Stephen Stephen
Answered on December 06,2019

If your NRI husband has abandoned you in India, you can immediately file a complaint/ FIR under 498A IPC on grounds of cruelty with the police in the local police station in the area where you were abandoned. Offences committed outside India would be deemed to have been committed within the territory of India by virtue of Section 188 of the Cr. P.C. Therefore, you can lodge a complaint for the same in India.

If your husband has abandoned you in a foreign country or harasses you in any way, you may approach the local police. You may also immediately contact the following in case of an emergency/to seek assistance in the foreign country:

  • Indian Embassy in the foreign country
  • Employer of the husband
  • Local Indian associations and networks of Indian citizens in the area of the residence of your fiancé
  • Friends and relatives in that country