I am staying in India and working for a UK-based company. They are sending salary into my Indian bank account. I am confused about my taxes as if the UK company provides me a salary slip, will it be valid for filing taxes in India?

Likhitha Likhitha
Answered on February 12,2020

Since you will be staying in India, your status will be resident in India as per the income tax Act. Any salary or income earned by you will be taxable in India. So you have to report your income from the UK company while filing your tax returns in India. And pay tax on it in India. In case the company deducts any tax in the UK, you can take benefit of it in your tax return in India. This can be done by referring to the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement between India and the UK. The Agreement ensures that taxpayers do not have to pay tax twice on the same income. You can use the salary slips issued to you to report your salary income and file your tax return in India.