Answered on September 13,2019
Getting tax refund is a long process. It might take up to 1 year. You can check the status of road tax refund during this period by filing RTI.
Full tax amount will not be refunded. Assume that you have paid road tax as 100 in Karnataka at the time of registration and you have used it for 5 years there. As lifetime of a vehicle is 15 years, you will get extra tax paid for 10 years. So you will get 100*(10/15)= 66 or something in that range.
Also, please note that either the vehicle has to be mandatory registered in new state or the Old Registration has to be applied for cancellation, post which only the refund application will be accepted for payment of Pro Rata Tax Amount
Answered on September 13,2019
Road Tax will be refunded on Pro rata basis of 15 yrs - basis registration date - till date of application for refund. For instance - if you applied for same after 5 yrs then approx 66% of original road tax paid will be refunded. The Pro Rata will be done based on Road Tax Amount. State Parking Fees, Smart Card registration fees is not refunded
Complete Guide to RTO Services in KarnatakaRegional Transport Office (RTO) is a government organization responsible for issuing vehicle related certificates in India. RTO in Karnataka provides the following services. No Objectio..
- I have purchased a new car and can I travel from Karnataka to Goa with my newly registered car? I have not yet received RC and Number Plate. Can you guide, whether is legal to travel outside of karnataka before receiving RC card and number plate? Write Answer
- How can i get a helping hand for re-registering my vehicle from Chennai to Bengaluru? Write Answer
- What is the penalty on the lapse in renewal of registration in Bangalore? It has been 5 years from the expire date fo registration. What would be the total fine in Bangalore ? Write Answer
- I have recently bought a new Taigun in Bengaluru and registered in KA03. I want to change my car number in Bengaluru itself. Can you tell me how this can be done? I am ok to re-register again. Please tell me the procedure and expenses thereof. Write Answer
- I have taken NOC from Chennai RTO to Bangalore RTO in 2015. However the NOC was not utilised and I lost all the original documents like RC, road tax payment receipt, NOC copy etc. What options do i have? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council (KDISC)
Jean at Adventus Canada immigration
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.