Answered on September 20,2019
You can get a marriage certificate in Maharashtra even when the marriage has taken place in Goa, provided that either you or your spouse was residing at Maharashtra before or after the marriage, depending on the laws in which you are going to register your marriage.
Marriages in India are registered under 2 acts.
Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
Special Marriage Act, 1954
The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable only to the Hindus, Buddhist, Brahma, Prarthana and Arya samaj. It does not apply to Muslim, Christian, Parsi or Jew Communities. But it applies to those who follow Hindu religious customs. The Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnized marriage. It does not provide for solemnization of a marriage by the Registrar.
Special Marriage Act is applicable to all citizens of India irrespective of religion, caste, and language. The Special Marriage Act provides for solemnization of a marriage as well as registration by a Marriage Officer.
It is important to know the act that applies to you based on your religion as the process and eligibility criteria to get a Marriage Certificate in both these acts will vary.
Registration of Marriages under Hindu Marriage Act
Marriage under Hindu Marriage Act can be registered any time after marriage. There is no time limit. Follow the below procedure to register marriages under Hindu Marriage Act.
Parties to the marriage have to apply to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction the marriage is solemnized or to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction either party to the marriage has been residing at least for six months immediately preceding the date of marriage. This means that either you or your spouse has lived in Maharashtra at least for six months immediately preceding the date of marriage.
Fill the Application form duly signed by both husband and wife.
Verification of all the documents is carried out on the date of application and a day is fixed for the appointment and communicated to the parties for registration.
Both the parties have to appear before the Registrar along with their parents or guardians or other witnesses.
The Certificate is issued on the same day.
Registration of Marriages under Special Marriage Act after the performance of religious customs
If marriage is already held according to the religious custom, Marriage can still be registered under the Special Marriage Act.
Application duly filled in should be given in the prescribed form in duplicate under Section 16 of the Special Marriage Act 1954 along with the prescribed fee to the marriage officer. If there are no objections, the marriage officer will register the marriage after 30 days if the husband and wife appear along with 3 witnesses subject to the following conditions:
They should have married and must be living together since then
At the time of marriage, any of them should not have more than one living wife or husband
Any of them should not be an idiot or lunatic at the time of registration of marriage
Husband and wife should have completed the age of 21. They should not be within the degree of prohibited relationship described in schedule I of the Act
Husband and wife should have lived for a period not less than 30 days within the jurisdiction of marriage officer where registration is sought to. This means you and your spouse should have lived for a period not less than 30 days in Maharashtra within the jurisdiction of marriage officer where registration is sought to.
- My marriage was in 2004 in Maharashtra. If priest is expired and I want to apply for my marriage certificate, what should I do? How much would I be penalized? Write Answer
- I am staying in Maharashtra and I got married at Goa. Where I have to register my marriage. Maharshtra or Goa? Write Answer
- What is the site for applying marriage certificate in Maharashtra? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Molleti Ramesh Babu
PGN Property Management
Kerala Institute of Local Administration - KILA
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.