How do I get a marriage certificate in Pune when marriage has taken place in Mumbai?

Mahesh Mishra Mahesh Mishra
Answered on March 25,2021

Marriage certificate is a document issued by the government under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or the Special Marriage Act, 1954. The certificate is proof that two individuals are married.
How to apply for a marriage certificate?

In India, there are two ways to get your marriage registered.

You can either apply online or offline for a marriage certificate.

Process for applying a marriage certificate online:

Head to the official site of the state government or Union Territory (UT) in which you want your marriage to be registered. Once you’ve located the portal of your home state or UT, find an option that reads “marriage registration”. Hit the “Apply Now” button. You will now see ‘FORM D’. You’ll need to fill out that form carefully on the portal itself and then upload the required documents. Some payment will also be required. It won’t be much, so make the necessary payments and complete the procedure. After making the payment, you will be able to download the filled application form. The next step is similar to the offline procedure. You will be given a date on which you’ll have to come with your spouse and three witnesses. So on that date, reach the office on time and ensure that you carry a printed copy of Form D and various other documents.The registrar or whoever is sitting in the office will ask you to sign all the documents and certificates there and then. The registration process also attracts a payment, so ensure you carry cash. Once the relevant authorities have verified your details, the marriage registration certificate will be issued to you and it will arrive within two weeks.

Process for applying a marriage certificate offline:

Grab an application form from your nearest marriage registrar office. Carefully fill up the application form and enter all the details required, including passport size photographs. Now, you’ll need to submit the duly filled application form, along with attested documents to the marriage registrars office. The documents will then be verified by the respective authorities. After that, the registrar will allocate a day on which you’ll have to come with your spouse and three witnesses to sign the registered certificate. It is your duty to arrive on time on the allotted date, along with your spouse and three witnesses. After signing and stamping the document in the presence of the officer, you will be issued an original, stamped marriage certificate in under two weeks.

However, the registration could be delayed if the registrar’s office has too many applications. That is exactly why a lot of people these days go with online mode. Marriage Certificate Format Eligibility criteria for a marriage certificate You will be issued a marriage certificate only if: You or your spouse is a citizen of India. Both of you are at the legal marriage age, which is 18 years or more for females and 21 years or more for males. You or your spouse can’t be in pre-existing marriage unless the previous partner is no longer alive or are legally separated from them at the time of registration of marriage.

Rohit Rohit
Answered on September 20,2019

You can get a marriage certificate in Pune even when the marriage has taken place in Mumbai, provided that either you or your spouse was residing at Pune before or after the marriage. Details are provided below.

Marriages in India are registered under 2 acts.

  1. Hindu Marriage Act, 1955

  2. Special Marriage Act, 1954

The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable only to the Hindus, Buddhist, Brahma, Prarthana and Arya samaj. It does not apply to Muslim, Christian, Parsi or Jew Communities. But it applies to those who follow Hindu religious customs. The Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnized marriage. It does not provide for solemnization of a marriage by the Registrar.

Special Marriage Act is applicable to all citizens of India irrespective of religion, caste, and language. The Special Marriage Act provides for solemnization of a marriage as well as registration by a Marriage Officer.

It is important to know the act that applies to you based on your religion as the process and eligibility criteria to get a Marriage Certificate in both these acts will vary.

Registration of Marriages under Hindu Marriage Act

Marriage under Hindu Marriage Act can be registered any time after marriage. There is no time limit. Follow the below procedure to register marriages under Hindu Marriage Act.

  • Parties to the marriage have to apply to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction the marriage is solemnized or to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction either party to the marriage has been residing at least for six months immediately preceding the date of marriage. This means that either you or your spouse has lived in Pune at least for six months immediately preceding the date of marriage.

  • Fill the Application form duly signed by both husband and wife.

  • Verification of all the documents is carried out on the date of application and a day is fixed for the appointment and communicated to the parties for registration.

  • Both the parties have to appear before the Registrar along with their parents or guardians or other witnesses.

  • The Certificate is issued on the same day.

Registration of Marriages under Special Marriage Act after the performance of religious customs

If marriage is already held according to the religious custom, Marriage can still be registered under the Special Marriage Act.

Application duly filled in should be given in the prescribed form in duplicate under Section 16 of the Special Marriage Act 1954 along with the prescribed fee to the marriage officer. If there are no objections, the marriage officer will register the marriage after 30 days if the husband and wife appear along with 3 witnesses subject to the following conditions:

  • They should have married and must be living together since then

  • At the time of marriage, any of them should not have more than one living wife or husband

  • Any of them should not be an idiot or lunatic at the time of registration of marriage

  • Husband and wife should have completed the age of 21. They should not be within the degree of prohibited relationship described in schedule I of the Act

  • Husband and wife should have lived for a period not less than 30 days within the jurisdiction of marriage officer where registration is sought to. This means you and your spouse should have lived for a period not less than 30 days in Pune within the jurisdiction of marriage officer where registration is sought to
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question