How do I collect housing documents from bank after a loan closure if I stay outside of India?

NRI can collect housing documents from Bank by giving General Power of Attorney

Below is the step-by-step procedure to give General Power of Attorney (GPA):

Step 1: Each bank has they own GPA draft, hence request the draft from your bank’s representative or simple Google search may help to find

Below is the mock draft from LIC HFL


Step 2: Fill the draft with your required information. 

Step 3: Print the draft on normal A4 size paper 

Step 4: Affix your passport size photo

Step 5: Meet the notary public near you in your country + Sign the GPA in front of notary + Get the GPA attested from Notary.

The notarized GPA looks like below image (Referring to below GPA, the property is jointly owned by husband & wife and living in London, jointly issued GPA to her brother in India)



Step 6: Send the notarized GPA to India through reputed shipping partner like DHL or FedEx

Step 7: Your GPA holder in India should carry the following documents to District Registrar office, in the jurisdiction where the property is located. (If  property located in Bangalore, should approach the District registrar office in Bangalore)

  • Power of Attorney
  • Passport copy of executant & Attorney
  • Request letter (share the mock below)
  • Stamp duty payment (K2 challan in Karnataka)

Below Is the mock request letter: 


Below is the stamp duty payment (K2 challan for Karnataka):


Step 8: In District Registrar office, the officer verifies the documents and approves for adjudication

Step 9: The District registrar calls you next day to collect the adjudicated POA. 

The Adjudicated GPA looks like below image

This completes the procedure to give GPA to collect documents from Bank. 

Your GPA holder should carry the adjudicated GPA and ID proof (passport copy) to your bank. Bank verifies GPA and ID proof and hand over following documents to GPA holder

  • Sale deed
  • No objection certificate on bank’s letterhead
  • Discharge deed/ Reconveyance deed/ Release Deed  (if MODT registered with Bank)
  • And any other security documents that you handed over to bank at the time of MODT registration.


In a separate answer, we wrote detailed procedure to remove mortgage lien in sub-registrar office, Below is the link to the answer


We provide end-to-end assistance to execute Power of Attorney + collect documents from Bank + register discharge deed + home delivered. To opt for our service, please Whatsapp to + 9 1 – 9 7 4 2 4 7 9 0 2 0.

Thank you for reading…

How would you rate the answer?

Excellent Good Neutral Poor Bad

Thank you for your response..