Answered on March 30,2020
According to the Motor Vehicle Act, any person who wishes to drive a vehicle must acquire a valid driving license from the Road Transport Authority (RTA) or Road Transport Office (RTO). Your competency to drive and capability to control the vehicle is tested by the RTA and a valid license will be issued to you to drive the vehicle.
Driving license is more or less, a permit given certifying the potentiality of a driver to drive a particular vehicle. Driving license is of two types: Learner's Driving License and Permanent Driving License.
Learner's License: It is a license issued to any person who is above 18 years of age. It must be acquired to learn driving a vehicle. A person holding the learners' license should compulsorily display an L-board on his vehicle. He should be guided by another experienced driver who holds a valid permanent license for the vehicle of the particular class. The period of validity of the learners' license is six (6) months and can be renewed every six (6) months.
Driving License: It is a license issued to any person who is between 18-50 years of age and has completed his learning period with a learners' license for not less than a period of six months. The applicant should hold a valid learners' license while applying for a permanent driving license. The certificate awarded by a recognized motor driving school should also be submitted along with the application. On scrutiny of the documents, the applicant will be called for a driving test. The applicant along with his vehicle has to go to the testing track or field and drive on the track according to the regulations of a driving inspector. On successful completion of the driving test, the applicant will be provided with a permanent driving license. The period of validity of the permanent license is five (5) or ten (10) or twenty (20) years, depending upon the category of the vehicle and the age of the drive.
Answered on March 30,2020
Following documents are required for Driving License.
- Age Proof (any one of the below-given documents)
- Birth Certificate
- PAN Card
- 10th Class mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from any school for any class with the date of birth printed on it
- Permanent proof of address: Any one of Passport, Aadhaar Card, Self-owned house agreement, Electricity bill (issued in applicants name), LIC bond, Voters ID Card, Ration card
- Current Proof of address: Any one of Rental agreement and electricity bill, Rental agreement and LPG bill
- Duly filled application form (to get the application form for a driving license, visit the nearest RTO or download it from the online portal for your state)
- 6 passport sized photographs (when applying for Learners license)
- 1 passport sized photograph (when applying for driving license)
- Medical Certificate is mandatory for all applicants over the age of 40 years. Form 1A and Form 1 is to be issued by a certified government doctor
Apply Online for Driving License
- Go to the official Sarathi website of the Road Transport & Highways Ministry.
- From the column named "Sarathi Services," select "New Driving license."
- You will be redirected to a new web page, which will have all the details about it.
- Read through the instructions.
- Download the form and fill all the required information.
- In the case of minor applicants, the form is to be printed out and Part D is to be filled out and signed by the parent/guardian at the nearest RTO.
- Upload the documents to be submitted along with the application form (proof of age, proof of address, learner's license number).
- A Web Application Number will be generated after submission, which can be used to track the status of the application.
- Once the application has been processed, a notification will be sent via SMS.