Answered on September 20,2023
There's no IRS rule that says the custodial parent has to release the claim to the non-custodial parent if the custodial parent doesn't file tax returns.
However the custodial parent cannot allow anyone else to claim the child if they aren't already eligible to claim them by IRS guidelines. The child would have to live with the grandmother for at least six months of the year, and if the grandmother and custodial parent live together with the child for the same amount of time, the grandmother needs to have a higher AGI than the parent.
The only time a person can claim a child as a qualifying child for tax credits when they do not live with the child is a non-custodial parent, and they need to get Form 8332 from the custodial parent.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
- Why did the IRS website initially indicate that my tax return had been sent to my bank with a specific date, but that date has now passed, and when I checked again, I received an error code 1121 ? Write Answer
- What does Code 150 mean on IRS Transcript means? Write Answer
- On my transcripts everything has 0$ with refund freeze code. Why is that? Write Answer
- Got this message from IRS website as refund status. "We cannot provide any information about your refund. " What to do? Write Answer
- How long does it take to receive a tax refund check after receiving a letter stating that my 2020 tax return has been adjusted and a refund is being issued? Also, why doesn't the "Where's My Refund" tool show that the check has been sent out? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council (KDISC)
Advocate Sreekala B @6282313023
Vileena Rathnam Manohar
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.