Answered on September 30,2021
Yes. PAN is not mandatory for opening a bank account.
Answered on October 31,2019
You can open a bank account without PAN Card. You can use either Aadhaar Card or Form 60 for this purpose.
Under Section 139A of the Income Tax Act, 1961, PAN card is a must for certain categories of individuals like those with taxable income and for carrying out specific financial transactions like a high-value cash deposit or withdrawal in the bank. The income tax department rules, however, also provide citizens with two alternatives for those who do not own a PAN card yet or their PAN number is not readily available.
Those who do not have a PAN card but possess Aadhaar number are allowed to quote Aadhaar in lieu of PAN. In such cases, the income tax department may automatically generate a new PAN linked to the Aadhaar card. Those who have been allotted PAN can also use their Aadhaar number provided the two are linked. Linking of PAN and Aadhaar is already mandatory.
Those who do not have a PAN card can fill Form 60 under the Income Tax Rules, 1962. Form 60 is nothing but a signed declaration stating that you do not have a PAN card and your income is below taxable limits. It also seeks details of your income.
Only those who do not hold a PAN card can fill this form. Otherwise, you may be penalized with a ?10,000 fine under Section 272B of the Income Tax Act.
If you have applied for PAN but it is yet to delivered, you can fill this form but after giving PAN card application acknowledgment number.
Hey , can you help?
Answer this question
How to download Aadhaar card ? Aadhaar (UID) is a 12 digit unique number which helps you to verify your identity all over the country. Apart from serving the purpose of verification, aadhar also helps individual to open n..
Click here to get a detailed guide
How to update aadhaar card details ?Aadhaar is a 12 digit unique number which helps you to verify your identity all over the country. All the details provided in Aadhaar regarding your identity can be updated. Following detai..
Click here to get a detailed guide
- Is it possible to open a new zero balance account with just an Aadhar card if I don't have a PAN? Which bank offers such accounts? Write Answer
- Is it possible to change the Date of Birth in my Aadhaar card to match the DOB on my PAN card? I only have the PAN card as the correct proof of my DOB. Could you kindly suggest the process for changing the DOB in my Aadhaar card to match the one on my PAN card? Write Answer
- How can I cancel my e pancard? Write Answer
- Can we create a bank account with Aadhar card and pan card having different addresses? Write Answer
- We have only the year in date of birth but we don't have month and date. Can we link Aadhaar and Pan? Write Answer
Top contributors this week
PGN Property Management
A R Ashraf
Tahsildar, Kurnool District, AP / Govind Singh R
Best Practices while applying for Government services online
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply for this service.
2. Check the documents required for application before applying.
3. Keep the documents in one folder for ease of access.
4. In case of any doubts, check whether the queries are already answered. You can check the FAQ section of the department website or use platforms like Tesz for this purpose.
5. Once you have applied, note down the application number to track the status.
6. Check the time required for the completion of the service. If the service is not completed within the due time, track the status online or reach out to the department.